Thursday, June 10, 2010

Oh hey there.

Things have been slow around here, and its still been raining a ton. As a matter of fact, Portland has been setting records for the rain. Because obviously it couldnt have set good records for the stint that we have spent here.

My brother recently paid a visit for 4 days. A much needed visit to say the least, as I feel like Ive been going a little crazy with no family or friends. We had a great time seeing him, and hanging out with him always seems to involve some decadent French wines, awesome food, and above all, barrels of laughs. My brother has always been one of the most important people in my life and pretty much my best friend, ever since I was a kid. I remember growing up when people would ask me who my idol was, and I would always say Clarke. I have him to thank for so much, including introducing me to many of the bands I still listen to today at a young age. Two of the best shows I have ever been to have been with him- The Chameleons in DC when I was a teen (incredible, and Mark Burgess's voice is still as awesome as it was in the 80s), and My Bloody Valentine in NYC a couple of years back (hands down, best show I have ever experienced). We have about a million inside jokes, some of which we have had for years and we still get weak on. He will always lend an ear if ever I need to talk about anything thats bothering me. He always has something new and exciting to share, be it a new place to eat, a new record... He truly is an awesome human, and I am (and always will be) proud to be his little sis. Thank you Clarke, for everything, and I cant wait to be a mere subway ride away from a hangout again.

So one of the places we ate at while Clarke was here, was a place called Le Pigeon. If ever you find yourself in Portland (which lets hope you dont, but if you do) this would be on the top of the list of places to eat. But those afraid to experience new and somewhat "weird" foods beware- this place may not be for you. For me though, Im not afraid to try anything once- how will you ever know if you like something if you dont at least try it? Anyway, we sat at the bar to eat, because the bar is actually an open kitchen so you can chit chat with and watch chef Gabriel Rucker (who was featured in Food and Wine a couple of years back, and nominated for a James Beard for Rising Star of the Year last year) prepare some fairly "foodie" yet beautifully unpretentious dishes. Really awesome and friendly guy by the way and extremely talented for such a young chef. Everything one might find gross on the menu we ordered, and everything we ordered was absolutely delicious. If you didnt tell anyone what it was they were eating, Im fairly positive everyone would happily scarf it down. While sitting at the bar, there was a guy dining alone to our left, who we ended up talking to throughout our meal. In the middle of munching on some appetizers, I was half listening to Todd talking to him about New York. Apparently the guy spent a lot of time hanging out there back in the day because he had some family there or something and blah blah blah. Then all of a sudden guy then started going into a rant about how New York nowadays was "done" and how its "all rich people now". That is when the record in my head came to a screeching halt. New York City... DONE? Did he really just say that? Yes, yes he did. Well thats news to me. Did New York suddenly stop being 3 steps ahead of everywhere else in the United States? Did it suddenly stop being home to many of the great chefs, designers, and artists of today? Did people all over the world stop trying to move there in order to make something of themselves or live a more exciting and fulfilling life? As far as everyone there being rich, yes there are rich people who live there (and in every other state, even your beloved Portland), but every single person I know who lives there are pretty far from even being well off. In all seriousness though you semi-balding new-age hippie, those days youre sitting at home being bored out of your gourd, Ill be back in the Big Apple with endless possibilities of things to do, because you know, New York is so done and all.............

11 weeks to go, bitches.

4 comments:

Raise Hell Over The Summer said...

i'm definitely not rich.

Robin said...

Yeah that dude didnt know what he was talking about, I think he just wanted to think he was really hip because he remembers the city from "the good old days".

Adrienne said...

Sounds like that guy was just trying to convince himself that Portland was better than NYC. hahaha

Can't wait to see you!

Robin said...

You knowwwws Im excited to see you too girl. As soon as I get back I think a girls night out (or in!) is an order.